Testosterone therapy for men
Our highly trained hormone physicians can help you gain and retain your youth through the replacement of lost testosterone levels.
Testosterone is a hormone found and produced in a man’s testicles and is responsible for regulating bodily functions as well as facilitating healthy production of sperm and reproductive success. Healthy levels of testosterone in a man aid healthy production of bone density, even distribution of fat, amount of muscle mass, healthy and even growth of hair on the face and body, production of red blood cells and facilitates a healthy sex drive and reproductive responsibilities like sperm production.
As young men develop testosterone at an early age the amount is plentiful during adolescence and teenage years gradually tapering off between the ages of 30 and 40 depending on the individual. Low testosterone can be age related or symptomatic of a larger problem such as hypogonadism which is a condition that hinders testosterone production in the testicles or pituitary gland. Normal amounts of testosterone in the male body can range from 350 ng/dL and 1,000 ng/dL. Testosterone therapy for men can allow the brain to work in harmony with the body as well as improve overall health and well being.
Age related testosterone loss can impact the following activities for men:
• Sex – low testosterone can impact activities related to libido including sex drive and the ability to maintain an erection.
• Sleep – some sleep disorders have been linked to low testosterone and can include general night restlessness or insomnia.
• Physical changes – physical changes in the body of a man with low testosterone can include a weakened muscle mass index, inability to maintain a healthy weight, excess fat production, decreased energy and breast tenderness.
• Emotional changes – men may also undergo emotional changes in addition to physical changes. Moodiness, depression and a loss of energy can be linked to low levels of testosterone.
Measures can be taken to balance out male hormones lost due to age or conditions like hypogonadism. Hormone replacement therapy for men, especially for testosterone can help alleviate the symptoms of low testosterone and restore the balance within the body. A simple blood test can determine whether or not you have low testosterone or low t syndrome and if hormone replacement therapy is right for you.
In many cases an introduction of lost testosterone hormones can give a man a better sense of his emotional and physical self. There are a few avenues by which testosterone can be given including injections, gels, patches, implanted pellets or taken orally. Over the course of treatment time the patient will experience an improvement in his energy levels, decreased emotional stressors, an increase in muscle mass and retention of muscle bulk, improved memory, decrease in body fat, improved skin elasticity and could potentially assist in erectile dysfunction.
There are some risks identified with the use of testosterone replacement therapy and can include:
• Skin irritation
• Regulation of sperm
• Sleep apnea
• Fluid retention (bloating)
Our physicians will consult with you and perform the needed blood tests and examinations and customize a testosterone therapy treatment plan that specifically meets your needs.