At home sleep study
We are equipped with one of the most advanced in home sleep study equipment’s in the market. One of our sleep medicine physicians will go through your medical history and symptoms and provide you with the equipment to take with you to perform an in home sleep study. The Itamar Watch-PAT 200 is an FDA approved portable in home diagnostic equipment that performs accurate screenings for sleep apnea. In addition this advanced in home sleep testing equipment not only can detect sleep apnea but can be used for the follow up treatment as well. At home sleep study is provided at our Beverly Hills and Los Angeles offices.
Advantages of an in home sleep study include:
- Able to be performed in the comfort of your home and the comfort of your bed.
- Sleep testing that is performed in an environment that reflects the pattern of your sleep habits.
- Costs much less than in testing performed in a Sleep Apnea Lab
- Easier for those with other chronic illnesses
- No need for travel to a Sleep Lab
Advantages of Itamar Watch-PAT 200
- Easy to use wrist worn device
- Only three leads for patients to wear
- Sleep Study report in real-time
- Actual Sleep time and sleep state
- Lowest failure rate of all sleep apnea devices in the market
- The most precise and user-friendly ambulatory sleep apnea device available
What is a Home Sleep Study?
A Home Sleep Study utilizes the most advanced portable diagnostic sleep equipment to monitor certain parameters while you sleep. Home sleep studies are very useful for diagnosing and ruling out obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Some patients are not a good candidate for an in home sleep study and may need to be referred to a sleep lab for further testing.
About Home Sleep Testing
Home sleep testing and Home Sleep Studies allow you the convenience of being in your home and having your testing done while sleeping in the comfort of your bed. The portable sleep study equipment provided to you collects information about your breathing during sleep, oxygen levels, heart rate and other useful information. Home sleep testing can be used to easily diagnose obstructive sleep apnea.
What you should do when you have a sleep study test performed at home?
- You should try to follow your regular routine of sleep as much as you can
- Avoid taking a nap during the day
- Do not drink caffeine after lunch or late in the day
- Follow the instructions provided to you by our physicians
When you are ready to go to sleep at your regular bedtime you will attach the sensors and device as instructed. Upon waking up in the morning you can disconnect the device and either bring it back to the office or mail it to our facility.
Our board certified sleep medicine physicians will then review score and interpret the data collected by your home sleep testing equipment and print out a report for you. You will meet with one of our physicians and then go over your results.
How does Watch-PAT 200 work?
Watch-PAT utilizes peripheral arterial tone which mirrors the changes in the autonomic nervous system caused by sleep changes and sleep disturbances. In addition our home sleep equipment measures your heart rate and oxygen to identify respiratory events. This home sleep equipment as well can detect REM (Rapid eye movement ) and differentiate between light and deep sleep.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a very serious condition that can lead to multiple of complications. Sleep apnea can be due to central sleep apnea (respiratory pacemaker in the brain) or due to an obstruction in the upper airway (obstructive sleep apnea). Obstructive sleep apnea can cause decrease airway flow to the lungs causing a drop of oxygen levels and a rise in carbon dioxide levels.
Effects of Sleep Apnea on the body and related conditions
- Heart Disease
- Weight Gain
- Difficulty losing weight
- Daytime Fatigue
- Sexual Dysfunction
Are you at risk for sleep apnea?
- Do you snore very loudly?
- Are you fatigued, tired or sleeping during the day?
- Has your partner or someone else observed that you stop breathing during the night?
- Is your BMI (Body Mass Index more than 35 kg/m2?
- Is your age over 50?
- Is the circumference of your neck or neck size larger than 17 inches?
- Are you a male?
- Do you gasp or choke during sleep?
Sleep Apnea Treatment Options
- CPAP Machine
- APAP Machine
- Oral and Nasal Appliances
- Lifestyle Adjustments
- Weight Loss
- Sleep Habits (Avoiding certain medications, sleeping at certain hours, restful bed may help certain patients)
- Sleep Position (Some patients may benefit from certain sleep positions)
- Surgery (Treating the anatomy of airway obstruction)